Safety is a Right for all and the number one priority of government is to provide for the protection of the people within its borders. Our city could have the best parks, bike lanes, transit system, etc, but none of that means anything if residents, visitors, and businesses are not protected and do not feel safe.
Just as city leaders must work to ensure the safety of the public, we must also insist that the policing is done in a way that is humane, respects the dignity of all people, and puts the protection of life first and foremost. When we fail to do this the consequences are severe and painful as has been shown time and again in Minneapolis and elsewhere throughout our nation. The reasons for this are many and varied and so must be the ways that we address it.
As your member of City Council I will enhance public safety by:
- Supporting the hiring of additional sworn officers to provide adequate staffing to better protect the public from increasing violent crime.
- De-emphasize the enforcement of drug possession crimes for small amounts not intended for sale.
- Insisting that future MPD officers better reflect the diversity of the citizens they serve.
- Revamping the Police Conduct Oversight Commission (PCOC) to include more members from the community and giving the PCOC an advisory role in meting out discipline in police misconduct cases.
- Reimplementing a more robust Co-Responder Program to handle mental health crisis calls.
- Create a traffic enforcement division that handles traditional traffic control duties in addition to non-dangerous moving violation.
- Collaborating with Mpls Public Schools and MnSCU to introduce Minneapolis youth to careers in public safety and create a pipeline into the MPD.
- Working with other public and private partners to incentivize MPD officers to live in the city and become part of the community they serve.
- Require that “use of force” documentation include the justification for the use of force.
- Further studying ways in which members of the Office of Violence Prevention can be deployed to maximum effect.